02 February 2018

Broken Dreams

Broken Dreams 
Before There Was Love - written in 1989

I dreamed a dream…
A life where I was happy.
I loved and was loved.
A gentle lover held my hand
And showed me the way to joy.

Our love gave us precious treasure,
The gift of sweet laughter,
The patter of tiny feet…
Myself, a mother looking on…
My lover, a father smiling gently…
Our children dancing joyfully about him.

I dreamed a dream…
A broken dream I couldn’t make true.
In waking truth I am alone.
The lover who held my hand
Led me only to pain.

My love returned no treasure…
Only pain and regret,
Bewilderment and betrayal…
Only the sound of retreating steps…
Myself, a woman alone, looking on…
My lover, a fading shadow, deeping pain…
Our children a broken dream,
Cutting deep as a knife in the night.



by D. Denise Dianaty
©20 August 2014

Pick up your own copy of my first book of poetry at My Life In Poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment